Discussing the future of our global climate alongside careers for young professionals was the aim of an event hosted by UNEP in Brussels on 13 December. In the wake of climate change COP18 in Qatar, interns from all walks of Brussels life dialogued with the Commissioner on both the substance of negotiations and their place in the process. As well as giving her views on the recent talks, Commissioner Hedegaard said that she was proud to have many young people in their 20s and 30s on the EU team, who benefit from those who have been involved in the complex negotiations for many years. When asked about which sectors young professionals should get involved in to support the kind of agreements she expected in the 2015 global deal, the Commissioner “all sectors plus more.” “We have to make a more fundamental shift in our economy,” she said, adding that how we make growth in the future will be a decisive factor in the fight against climate change.
The event was organised by UNEP in partnership with the European Youth Press and Debating Europe. To continue the debate online join the follow-up discussion on the DebatingEurope website here. If you would like to stay in touch with news from the European Youth Press, you can subscribe via youthpress.org or like the Facebook page.
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup poppy seeds
The grated rind of 2 lemons
100 grams butter
2 eggs, large
1 cup milk
- Put the flour, sugar and seeds into a bowl and mix with a fork (if you haven’t got a sieve). Add the lemon rind to the mixture and mix.
- In another bowl, beat together the butter, milk and eggs.
- Fold the butter/milk/egg mixture into the dry ingredients. (“Fold” means mix it with a wooden spoon until it’s just combined — should still be able to see some floury bits which will disappear in the oven.)
- Put spoonfuls into a muffin tin and bake at 200 degrees celcius for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the muffins out of oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes or so, then leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- Make a kind-of lemon jam by boiling lemon juice and loads of sugar until it’s thick. Turn it off and as it cools it will thicken. Put on the muffins.
Event is over-subscribed. We will notify registered participants today (Monday, 10th Dec) with a confirmation email.
Special intern-only event with
Connie Hedegaard, European Commissioner for Climate Action
The Round Table with Round Cakes series of events bring together people-who-have-made-it with people-who-are-starting-out to discuss pressing global issues that will frame the career opportunities for young professionals. It gives a chance to “young professionals” to showcase their ideas to high-level people and network over a cup of tea… & homemade cupcakes.
When? 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm on 13 December
Where? UN House, Rue Montoyer 14
To reserve, send your name, intern title & organization to email@example.com before 10th December. Places strictly limited.
We will be gathering questions online before, during and after the event, using the hashtag #RTRC
Details for live web streaming coming soon