2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup poppy seeds
The grated rind of 2 lemons
100 grams butter
2 eggs, large
1 cup milk
- Put the flour, sugar and seeds into a bowl and mix with a fork (if you haven’t got a sieve). Add the lemon rind to the mixture and mix.
- In another bowl, beat together the butter, milk and eggs.
- Fold the butter/milk/egg mixture into the dry ingredients. (“Fold” means mix it with a wooden spoon until it’s just combined — should still be able to see some floury bits which will disappear in the oven.)
- Put spoonfuls into a muffin tin and bake at 200 degrees celcius for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the muffins out of oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes or so, then leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- Make a kind-of lemon jam by boiling lemon juice and loads of sugar until it’s thick. Turn it off and as it cools it will thicken. Put on the muffins.